09 OCT 11 OCT
The track was opened on 18 June 1927, after building work began in 1925, involving 3000 workers. The same year the Nürburgring hosted the Motorbike Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix for Race Cars. The new track was soon regarded as the German Race Course that had no equal anywhere in the world. In 1938 it was host to over 200,000 spectators.
However, the Second World War put a stop to all motor sport activities. In 1950, the first year of the Formula 1 Grand Prix, the "Ring" went international again, and on the 1st August 1954 it hosted more than 400,000 spectators for the European Grand Prix.
In 1971 the track was rebuilt, safer but faster. After Niki Lauda´s accident in 1976, the Nürburgring was refused authorisation for Formula 1 races. A new and shorter course 4.556 m long was opened on 12 May 1984 hosting the European Grand Prix, and in 1985 German Formula 1 was back at the "Ring".
The Nürburgring didn't hold another Grand Prix until 1995, when it was won by Michael Schumacher. Since then it has been the venue for the Formula 1 and Motor Bike Championsship.