07 JUL 09 JUL
The Austrian Grand Prix is steeped in over 60 years of history. In the 1950's local racing enthusiasts created an L shaped circuit in the town of Zelweg, the track was outlined using cones and hay-bales. In 1958 the track witnessed its First International race. However, it wasn't until the 1970's when the first Formula One race was held in Austria, when the local favourite Jochen Rindt dominated the season before tragically losing his life at Monza later that season. Lindt was awarded the first (and only) posthumous world championship title.
Ӧsterreichring was host to the Austrian Formula 1 Grand Prix for 18 consecutive years until 1987. The circuit suffered several start-line accidents, calling into question the safety of the circuit, finally resulting in the circuit being pulled from the Formula 1 calendar in 1987.
In the years that followed, the track fell into disrepair. The Austrian telecoms company A1 invested into the track, which saw Austria enter back into the Formula 1 calendar in 1997. The A1- Ring hosted Grand Prix for the next 6 years, until it was dropped from the F1 calendar in 2003.
Fast forward to the current track, which was opened in 2011. When the new owners introduced the redeveloped and rebranded, Red Bull Ring. Since its re-opening the circuit has been host to the World Series by Renault and European Le Mans.
The impressive Red Bull Ring set in the spectacular Austrian countryside is a thrilling 9 corner circuit, consisting of 7 right-hand and 2 left-hand turns. The track also features a downhill slope of 9.3% and an uphill slope of 12% and 2 DRS Zones. Additionally, the track can be split into two separate tracks; North and South. The Southern part of the track is used mostly for major events.